Thursday, July 4, 2013

February 28, 1863---Jackson insists on autonomy



FEBRUARY 28, 1863:         



Stonewall Jackson debates Robert E. Lee regarding the promotion of officers in his Command:

 "…I desire the interest of the service, and no other interest, to determine who shall be selected to fill vacancies. Guided by this principle, I cannot go outside of my command for persons to fill vacancies in it, unless by so doing a more competent officer is secured. This same principle leads me to oppose having officers, who have never served with me, and of whose qualifications I have no knowledge, forced upon me by promoting them to fill vacancies in my command, and advancing them over meritorious officers well qualified for the positions, and of whose qualifications I have had ample opportunity of judging from their having served with me…"

No comments:

Post a Comment