Monday, June 10, 2013

September 8, 1861---The Railsplitter refuses to split hairs



SEPTEMBER 8, 1861:         

In response to President Lincoln’s demand that General Fremont scale back his Missouri Emancipation Proclamation, Fremont sends his wife Jessie (daughter of Senator Thomas Hart Benton). 

President Lincoln recalled of their meeting that "She sought an audience with me at midnight and taxed me so violently with many things that I had to exercise all the awkward tact I have to avoid quarreling with her. She surprised me by asking why their enemy, Montgomery Blair, had been sent to Missouri. She more than once intimated that if General Frémont should conclude to try conclusions with me he could set up for himself. The next we heard was that Frémont had arrested Frank Blair and the rupture has since never been healed."


No comments:

Post a Comment