Thursday, June 20, 2013

June 3, 1862---"The King of Spades"



JUNE 3, 1862:             

After Seven Pines, Confederate wounded stream into Richmond. Robert E. Lee orders defensive earthworks around Richmond. His nickname now changes from “Granny Lee” to “The King of Spades.”

On this same day, the last bridge over the Shenandoah River is burned. Captain Edward H. MacDonald C.S.A. finds himself on the wrong end of the burning bridge:

“The river was swollen and swift, and I knew that if I attempted to swim it in the face of the enemy I would be shot…I determined to ride through the burning bridge. As my horse touched the planks the smoke of burning straw and powder blinded me and my horse hesitated, but urged with my spurs he dashed through, while one or two of the shells exploded.”


No comments:

Post a Comment