Sunday, May 31, 2015

June 13, 1865---The Trial of Robert E. Lee



JUNE 13, 1865:          

Civil government is re-established by Executive Order in Mississippi and in Georgia.

President Johnson's Executive desk
Robert E. Lee receives word that he, along with Jefferson Davis and other Confederate leaders is going to be indicted for treason. He writes to General Grant:

 . . . Upon reading the President's proclamation of the 29th ult., I came to Richmond to ascertain what was proper or required of me to do, when I learned that, with others, I was to be indicted for treason by the grand jury at Norfolk. I had supposed that the officers and men of the Army of Northern Virginia were, by the terms of their surrender, protected by the United States Government from molestation so long as they conformed to its conditions. I am ready to meet any charges that may be preferred against me, and do not wish to avoid trial; but, if I am correct as to the protection granted by my parole, and am not to be prosecuted, I desire to comply with the provisions of the President's proclamation, and, therefore, inclose the required application, which I request, in that event, may be acted on. I am, with great respect . . . 


Attached is the following petition to President Johnson:

. . . Being excluded from the provisions of the amnesty and pardon contained in the proclamation of the 29th ult., I hereby apply for the benefits and full restoration of all rights and privileges extended to those included in its terms. I graduated at the Military Academy at West Point in June, 1829; resigned from the United States Army, April, 1861; was a general in the Confederate Army, and included in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, April 9, 1865. I have the honor to be, very respectfully . . .
 
In Dublin, Ireland, William Butler Yeats is born. 





No comments:

Post a Comment