Friday, October 25, 2013

October 27, 1863---"I had much rather fight Yankees than take corn from women and children."



OCTOBER 27, 1863:           

Unlike their Commander-in-Chief, Confederate soldiers are not waxing rhapsodic about the glories of war in Tennessee. An anonymous Georgian writes:

"...I just returned last night from a trip of three days up in Walker County, Georgia after corn. I could not find any corn to buy and had to press some. I pressed it from a lady whose husband is gone to the Yankees, It was very hard to do so and she was crying and begging but I could not help it, my orders was to get corn and I was obliged to get it. I don't want to go anymore. I had much rather fight Yankees than take corn from women and children. I had a good time otherwise, eating butter and milk and potatoes and other vegetables but it did not last long, but like the hog I had to return to my wallering in the clay and vomit again. ..."


No comments:

Post a Comment