Friday, July 19, 2013

July 22, 1863---Grant and Sherman



JULY 22, 1863: 

General Grant writes to President Lincoln recommending the promotion of William Tecumseh Sherman. His letter reads in part:

“I would most respectfully but urgently recommend the promotion of Maj.-Gen. W. T. Sherman…to the position of brigadier-general in the regular army. The first reason for this is…great fitness for…command…Second…great purity of character…Third [he has] honorably won this distinction upon many well-fought battlefields…To General Sherman I was greatly indebted for his…forwarding to me, during the siege of Fort Donelson, reinforcements…At the battle of Shiloh, on the first day, he held with raw troops the key points to the landing. To his individual effort I am indebted for the success of that battle. Twice hit, and (I think three) horses shot under him on that day, he maintained his position with his raw troops…I do not believe there was another division commander on the field who had the skill or experience to have done it.”

Lincoln did not know it yet, but in Grant, Sherman and Philip Sheridan he had found the Union answer to Lee, Jackson and Stuart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment