Saturday, June 8, 2013

July 27, 1861---"I can not say when I will see you again, if ever..."



JULY 27, 1861:    

R.J.C. Gailbreath, C.S.A., a Private soldier from Bristol, Tennessee, writes a letter to his wife describing the scene at Manassas. It reads in part:

“As I promised to write more about the Big Fight [at] Manassas I will now give you all the news as we have it…The Southerners had 30,000 men Commanded by Beauregard, Davis and Johnston. The Yankees had 65,000 men Commanded by Scott, McDowell and Patterson. Fight com- menced (sic) at 8 O’clock-Morning (Sunday)…and lasted all day. The Southerners lost 500 killed and 1,500 wounded-Then the Northern Men lost 21,000 killed and lost 1,000 prisoners-Our side took 63 Cannons 1,000 Stands of Arms, Horses and provisions and etc. worth a Million of Dollars -Enough to Furnish the Southern Army for 12 Months. From the General detail of the battle it was the greatest Battle fought since the Memera- ble (sic) Battle of Waterloo-If Jeff Davis had of had Ten Thousand Men more, who was Fresh and not exhausted, he says he could have taken Washington City in 10 Hours after the battle-Our side run them within a few mile of the Potomac River-Got old Scott’s Carriage, and his walking stick and he run 40 miles, got 2 members of the Yanks Congressmen as prisoners, and in fact, whipped them shamefully—For full particulars I refer you to the News Paper…I cannot say now, my Dear Family, when I will see you again, if ever, but should it be the will of God to cut me off from you, rest assured that you shall never be disgraced by any Conduct on my part in this War, for you and my Country…Give my love to your Mother, and all the Black Folks, and to your Friends.



Farewell, R. J. C. Gailbreath”


No comments:

Post a Comment