Sunday, July 5, 2015

July 17, 1865---"Too secesh."



JULY 17, 1865:          


“Frank” writes to “Nettie” from Augusta, Georgia:

Dear Nettie,
           
 . . . I take the opportunity of a few spare moments to drop you a few lines. I have been enjoying excellent health & good spirits, although at times very homesick. I am getting tired of the service & am most anxious to get home with the folks once more.

I have had a very pleasant time since coming here & have been as well treated as man could wish for. I have become acquainted with quite a number of the citizens & have visited at most of their houses. I only visit some three or four young ladies as the majority of them are too secesh. They all treat me well to be sure, but there is something in their manner which I do not like & consequently go among them as little as possible . . .


There is a lady from New York with her two daughters . . . & they always do their best to make my stay or visit pleasant & they succeed fully . . .

I should not be surprised if I should come home before long as I understand orders have been issued for our discharge. The men are all very anxious to go home & get their pay, as they have received none now for nearly eleven months & their families are suffering for the want of it.

 . . . With love to all & hoping soon to be home . . .
                                                                                                                                                                                          
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment